Wednesday, August 22, 2007

twins are badass

This morning I finished the book I was reading called “lone survivor.” It seemed especially appropriate that I finished it on mine and my twin sister’s birthday because it’s about who happens to be a twin, and ends with some notes on the bond between them. I do my reviews on goodreads.com but I have to share this one. I’m not into writing plot synopses in my reviews because I’m more concerned with what impressed me than plot details, but it’s about a Navy SEAL that survived a mission in Afghanistan when the rest of his team died. It’s about how he survived, how his teammates fell, and about his training and partially about his family’s experience in waiting for news on his condition / life. His twin brother, also a Navy SEAL kept telling his family that he knows Marcus is alive—he can feel it. I nearly started crying when I read about Marcus being saved, but I was reading it on the stair-stepper at the gym, so I didn’t. Not really. Not like I normally do. And then the editor made a note in the afterward that Marcus had been sent out on another mission a year later, as the leader of a SEAL team that his brother was on. It’s cool that they are so badass.

April and I had a pretty badass camping trip this last weekend for our birthday so I’ll be sure and get some pics up soon.

2 comments:

Jeffrey Root said...

Yeah but are you navy seals. Nooo... I didn't think so.

Alene said...

yeah, we're not seals, but sometimes we do read each others' minds : )