Tuesday, March 10, 2009

the state I live in

I love Utah, but have to admit how absolutely embarrassing it can be sometimes that our tax dollars can be spent on days or weeks or months of discussion over the most ridiculous legislative issues. Is it really better if alcoholic drinks are mixed away from the eyes of children? Isn't "shielding" children from the truth sort of denying them the chance to learn about it? Would not knowing that some people choose to drink alcohol keep you from ever trying it later?

What bothers me about this is that rather than creating a culture of honesty, we're creating one that encourages people to keep secrets. This is really something that bothers me about being a Mormon. So many things are frowned upon either by belief or by social and cultural consequences that I believe there is a great deal too much shame, insecurity, and then secrecy created.

Shouldn't a religion inspire honesty?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen.

Amanda the great said...

i agree

Anonymous said...

I agree with you wholly. Not only is this legislation consuming valuable time and money, but it also has a very limited effect. Consider how many places and situations where children might BE in the same place as the drinks are being mixed. Honestly, there are much better places to spend our money. Nice post.

Our Ohana said...

very well said. Being a mormon is a lot more fun when people are accepting of other religions, lifestyles and behaviors instead of being judgemental and oversensitive.

Brianna said...

Well stated.

Personally as someone who drinks, it doesn't make sense since they will see the drinks served...and it terrifies me that someone is mixing my drink where I can't see it! (what if the creepy bar tender puts a drug in it?)

Mom & Dad Root said...

I've got a good friend that just moved to (I think)Alabama, she wrote and told me that the county she and her husband moved to is under the "blue law" she said it's governed primarily by the Baptists. It's worse there!! But you're right about Utah, maybe we'll finally see some changes.

Dave Speer said...

Ha... down here in the south we encourage drunk driving by making you drive over to the next county or city or whatever to buy. I got in an argument with a muslim at work about it, like the baptists he was all for it. City of Irving was gonna go "wet" (meaning you could buy beer and wine) and there was a huge deal about it.

I'm pretty certain the head in the sand approach has failed for everyone who has tried it.

K said...

There you go again...being completely R-E-A-L and saying it how it is. I agree...it's all ridiculous!