Monday, July 13, 2009

Gilgal Made Over

I paid another visit to one of my favorite places in Salt Lake City. I blogged about it before, here, but it's really worth re-visiting (literally and figuratively). My friend Katie was in town and we met for dinner then headed over to check it out. It was Bailey's first time there too, though I know we'll be going many times.

I was a little bit sad that Gilgal Gardens seems to have gotten a makeover recently. I dislike that kind of thing because makeovers have a way of bringing more people around when you want to keep a place all to yourself (like why did they ever decide to pave the road into Maple Canyon??). But I can't exactly say that I didn't enjoy all the fresh flowers around either, or that they didn't add to the beauty and overall exotic-ness of the place. Bailey loved the flowers too so I couldn't be upset about them, though I fondly recall hopping over the torn fence the first time I visited it in a more dilapidated condition.

In the photo below I'm pointing out an inscription I particularly like, one that I had at one time kept memorized because I loved it so, and have of course forgotten even after the reminder the other night.


Bailey tried reading some rocks too : )


See Katie's complete set of Gilgal Garden photos here, including the infamous Joseph Smith sphinx and the creator's sculpture of himself.

No comments: