Monday, August 03, 2009

Part Time with Schedule > Part Time On Call

I am very pleased that it seems my schedule at work should be becoming a bit more regular now. For the past few months I've been working a little extra, covering while some were on vacation, maternity leave, paternity leave, sick, funerals, etc. While the extra work has been good for my bank account, and I was happy to help out considering the fact that I was allowed a 5-month leave of absence when I had Bailey, it turned out to be more difficult in actuality.

What happened couldn't really have been anticipated:

1. Tyler had to go out of town a few times during those couple of months for his new job.

2. I changed daycare providers 3 times during that time period, making a total of 4 day-care homes Bailey has been in since January. (All of whom I've liked, but for personal reasons, job changes, etc. they had to quit doing their in-home daycare services.)

3. Work was exceptionally busy (as it is in the summer, but this year topped others to date). Sometimes the database had crashed, sometimes we were just plain overloaded or had an unexpected shortage of staff, all things which couldn't have been helped. On those occasions I made last-minute arrangements to come in earlier than planned.

Altogether with work demands and Tyler's being gone this probably accounted for re-arranging my daycare schedule at last 8 times in the last 10 weeks. Since I was working an afternoon - evening shift and Bailey needed picked up by 5 at those homes, this required an effort almost one time per week to engage the services of friends, neighbors, relatives, etc., all of to whom I owe a HUGE THANK YOU!

That being said, I do really enjoy my job and am grateful that I'm able to work where a 10-15 hour work week is permitted and that I'm able to be with my baby as often as I am.

1 comment:

K said...

Oh gosh...I'm REALLY hoping things settle down and become more regular SOON! That sounds like a lot of craziness! And I loved the post about the dream of running in flip flops. Sux that the shoes weren't turned in, though. Good luck (with work and the run!!!!)