Monday, November 13, 2006

and so it begins

I would bet that each of the kids in my family has at one time or another wanted to be a writer. I know I still think about it a lot, but I suspect my youngest sister might make it. I don't know anything about her writing, but here are my thoughts on her prospects.

In talking about growing up, as bad as I thought it was, I always had my twin sister. We would go to our room and spend the whole rest of the night crying and talking after bad times. My older brothers shared a room as well. So more often, I find myself worrying about my younger siblings. I think about them all of the time. I feel close to them, but sometimes out of touch at the same time. I'm proud of my little bro because he's making something of himself already. He's so involved and has lots of friends. He is writing now too. I was such a loser in high school.

My little sis is still quite young. I wonder what is ahead of her really. I worry about her a lot. I joked with my twin about how our youngest sib will probably end up being the successful writer.

That's because all good writers have had very traumatic lives it seems--and the best spent time in either prison or boarding school.

[side note here--my high school sophomore English teacher went to a Catholic boarding school. She told us about when one of the old nuns retired. None of the girls liked her because she was a very cruel teacher. Well as she was walking off of the campus, the girls all sang out of the dorm-room windows the song from Wizard of Oz "ding dong the witch is dead." A very weird story, but interesting.]

Anyway, I fear that my youngest sister's life may be very hard because she doesn't have someone else close to her to talk with. So I've joked about how she'll make the best writer. So I went to see my little bro's high school play this weekend and while sitting next to my little sister, she tells me that she has started to write a book. And so it begins. I hope the best for all of my siblings.

No comments: