Saturday, November 25, 2006

layers and heroes

I know how to wear layers. I grew up in Montana. It seems that I"m always reciting to others all the layers that I have on--usually because I'm still cold despite the layers and I just want someone to understand. Like at the last football game for Tyler's team I wore a pair of "hot chilli's" (a tights-like layer, thanks to Bill who got tired of my complaining every time we are camping) beneath a pair of flannel pants beneath my jeans, not to mention my underwear as well.

Well, I recently finished reading the book "Long march to freedom" written by Thomas Hargrove about his 11 months of being held by Colombian guerillas in the mountains. The book is a compilation of the diary entries he made while kidnapped. He often talks about how cold it is there. Here is one particular excerpt:

from day 125—
....I wear three socks, three trousers, one shorts, two shirts, jacket, ruana, two ski masks, two heavy, three light blankets over me, one under, plus some sacks I found. I don’t sleep under covers, I wrap it around me. Still; so cold, I hate to move.

That entry just broke my heart. I remember actually feeling cold while reading "fire of the covenant" about the handcart companies of Mormons on their way to the Salt Lake valley. These stories humble me. There's probably nothing I fear more than being so cold, I hate the cold, but it seems strangely that many of my favorite inspirational and heroic stories involve braving the cold. Perhaps because their challenges seem the most difficult to face. My sister April introduced me to two heroic stories that are among my favorites--that of Ernest Shackleton's plight in his attempt to reach Antarctica and also that of the South American rugby team that got trapped in the Andes and had to walk out. I can't imagine having the courage and strength necessary to survive, much less to play a role in the rescue of my friends. I admire these people greatly.

I just keep thinking of these stories lately. They inspire me so much. I like how they are just regular people and able to do such extraordinary things. It makes me wonder what we are really capable of and it makes me feel so responsible to do the most I can with my life.

No comments: