Thursday, March 08, 2007

Amygdala dreams

The HB and I are learning all about our amygdalas in our class together. It's the lower part of your brain that releases the fight or flight impulse when you feel threatened. We're supposed to stop using that part and move up into our higher brains, but it seems that I just don't have one. Is this possible? Maybe my twin robbed me of mine when were in the womb. (give it up April). I'm sure I have one, it's just so hard to use it. I love our class and I'm glad to know that we're trying to make things better for us, but after each session I feel a little crumbled too, because it's so hard to make those changes.

So I think it's kind of funny that my dream last night was just one fight/flight incident after another, though it didn't start out that way. (Am I supposed to be practicing in my dreams?--that would be cool if I could get good at using my higher brain in my dreams).

First I was at Ty's parents house and I was with Alana and Krystal and I was trying to ask Alana about her recent trip to Hollywood. And then the conversation moved into the bathroom (not weird if you're a girl because we all keep talking as we get ready, do our hair, etc.) Krystal was wearing this old-school underwear with like a long skirt and a corset or something and she got in the bathtub with it on. I get the impression we're all talking.

Then I realized I had to take something to my parents house so I run over there (as if) and drop it off to my mom. My sister-in-law Jen is there and we talk. Then I realize I'll now have to walk all the way back to my house because I didn't drive there and it's a long ways, and I want to get there fast because I know Tyler has to be to work by 8:30.

So I'm running and I run by all these little shops (like on Broadway) and then turn to go south and it's some dark alley and some guy starts running after me and grabs me. By now I'm in some kind of field, the alley just behind me. I'm screaming and there are some people coming into the field from the alley, but I'm scared because it's a couple women and I'm afraid he won't be scared enough to let me go. I elbow him in the stomach and then hit him a few times and he falls unconscious. So then I'm kind of lost because it looks like I"m on a mountaintop and I tell another girl that I have to get home as fast as I can and I know I'm kind of close, but not sure. She brings me to the edge of the mountain and shows me where the exit is for 100 south (there isn't one). Then I know so I start down the mountain. It's steep, but nothing I can't do and I'm just getting behind big rocks my whole way down. But then I'm behind a big rock and I hear a noise on the other side and a huge grizzly bear comes around and sees me and I'm scared to death.

Then I heard Tyler's footsteps and realized it was all a dream. I read once that you always have bad dreams when you're stressed out because it helps relieve some of the stress. But I don't feel that relieved afterwards. I've been really tired lately and my head keeps aching. I'm a little nervous about my new job too--excited, but a little nervous.

1 comment:

hunsaker family said...

that was so cool. i love dreams. i keep a dream journal and it's so funny to read. while brock and i were learning about natural child birth, our teacher taught us a lot about "flight or fight." it's very interesting stuff.