Saturday, November 17, 2007

Overseas Shopping Blunders

We've all done it when overseas. You feel like part of the community there, like you belong somehow because you get to be yourself completely. And so you purchase the native goods, feeling so at one with yourself and with them because you feel good about yourself.

In Israel I bought an Arab style dress like all the women wore at the market. The simplicity was so beautiful and serene to me. I wore it a few times during my semester over there, but never after bringing it back. I ended up giving it to my roommate who had some interest in it, though I'm not sure she was ever able to wear it either. I bought a set of glass painted bracelets there too. They were so beautiful, but in the end, not quite my style. Like artifacts, I love ethnic jewelry but the bracelets seemed more my sister's style, she looks good in anything and goes for more natural looking things. I've never been able to pull off the crinkle skirts or peasant blouses so I'm left with few outfits to wear ethnic jewelry with.

When I lived in Japan I bought Christmas gifts to bring home for my family and friends. At a loss for ideas, I thought it best to go with what all the Japanese were buying for gifts. They shop at large department stores, where things like fancy dishes and fabrics are on display. And because that was what was popular there, I found the platters elegant. Of course, personally I've never had a need or desire for fancy platters, who wants expensive dishes when you don't hold dinner parties or when your house is never emaculate? But I bought one for my boyfriend and I think my parents too, I honestly can't remember. I don't know what I was thinking then.

So I'm vowing now not to make stupid shopping blunders while in Mexico.

2 comments:

The Dunn Family said...

I wanna go to MEXICO!!!! Bring me back a marieanette or puppet. I cant spell well. lol

Mom & Dad Root said...

Hey I'll make a stupid shopping blunder in LasVegas(27-30th)for you if you'll make one for me in Mexico!