Sunday, June 01, 2008

Oil paintings and Watercolors

The HB and I went for a little hike recently to a place called "the living room." It was a fairly short hike behind the U of U campus right above the Salt Lake Valley where people have made a "living room" out of stones overlooking the valley. There were a number of chairs, some benches, and some ottomans as well. IMG_0986

It was a bit overcast which killed the possibility of evening out my tan, but made for perfect hiking conditions. As we got up above the valley and were able to look down on it I remarked that what was all around us was like an oil painting because the clouds made the colors so rich and that out over the valley was more like a watercolor because it was washed out and a little hazy as we looked west. I much prefer oil paintings to watercolors, though sometimes I love the subtlety and fluidity of watercolors, like some of Vettriano's work.
IMG_1005
My preference for the oil paintings is how I see my life overall--I like vivid, raw, honest experiences, nothing measured, nothing held back. When I was in Israel and spent a lot of time studying the Bible I found I had a clear favoritism for the Old Testament for the same reasons. The Old Testament is far more colorful and vibrant than the New Testament, just as the city of Jerusalem is surrounded by much more passion than the city of Nazareth in the Galilee area to the north. I loved the 2 weeks I spent on the Sea of Galilee, they were peaceful, beautiful, relaxing and enlightening, but the dirty Old City of Jerusalem, practically pungent with blood, spices, sweat, smoke, etc. made me feel much more alive.

I get frustrated with life when I feel I'm living a less than passionate life. When the monotony of work and everything takes over and nothing gets me worked up, inspired, or fulfills me. I feel guilty saying that because I actually get out a ton, and I constantly push for more and more experiences. I'm just glad that some very patient people love me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post! I go back and forth. I always think I want something nice and consistent - to feel content. But then I tend to feel anxious to be doing something else. I love seeing new things, after I get over my initial anxiety. It makes for an almost permanent discomfort. Anyway, you are looking fantastic!

Brianna said...

Wow, you hit it right on the nose! I too feel frustrated if my life is content, as if I'm not living it enough. I know I should be grateful for the content times, as they are usually followed by chaos: sometimes good, sometimes bad. You look great by the way, and thanks for having us over to your inaugural BBQ :)

B said...

Whats up with your victory sign before you reached the summit.... unless you are on the way down?

Kas said...

You look so great! And still hiking :) Way to go. It think I quite hiking by tri 3. Then again...it was winter. :) Anyways...add us to your list!