Thursday, January 08, 2009

And Secondly

A follow-up thought on my Revolutionary Road post.

How can I profess to even want all of the things I say I do if every time I listen to the song "Castles in the Air" by Don McLean, one of my all-time favorite songs, I'm full of desire for the simplest life possible? (Preferably in this house in Teasdale.)

From "Castles in the Air":

But how can words express the feel of sunlight in the morning,
In the hills, away from city strife.
I need a country woman for my wife;
I'm city born, but I love the country life.

For I cannot be part of the cocktail generation:
Partners waltz, devoid of all romance.
The music plays and everyone must dance.
I'm bowing out. I need a second chance.



I mean, seriously, where do I get off saying I want to do all of these grand things and then say I might just be happy living in the heart of Utah's desert the rest of my life?

No comments: