Thursday, November 20, 2008

Scouts and Navy Seals

Recently I was named Den Leader in my local cub scouts organization. I don't know much about scouts except that all my brothers had to do it. At some points my sister and I were jealous of the things they got to do, learn to waterski, earn a merit badge. Sounds like a lot of fun, especially when you compare it to the LDS Young Womanhood award we had to get.

I remember feeling jipped that I never got to do a 50 mile hike and in fact I still haven't. I plan out long backpacking trips in my mind all the time, something like the "Wine to Waves" trip (Napa to San Fran), or "Rim to Rim", or something in the 4 corners area allowing me to see Hovenweep, Mesa Verde, and Canyon de Chelly.

So anyway, I started out with a requirement that included discussing 2 great Americans that had served their country. One of my choices was Michael Durant, the blackhawk pilot that was held in Somalia for 11 days by enemy forces. I loved reading his book "In the Company of Heroes" and hearing how his friends would fly by blaring his favorite AC/DC songs so he'd know they were out looking for him and wouldn't give up. I also loved the background he provides about Delta Force and Navy Seals. He says the following quotes about the organizations:

"They were the kind of professionals who could pick off a rabbit from a roller coaster with a BB gun."

"They will accept any challenge, professional or personal. They fight like panthers on speed, and when they're done, they party as if they've been pent up all day in a cage."

I love how easy to visualize those descriptions are and the admiration for him that his compliment reveals. I think it impressed the group of 9-year-old boys I had too. Hopefully I can keep scouts exciting for them.

No comments: