Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"Alene usually eats 5"

H.'s grandchildren were all at the funeral and most of them I hadn't seen for 10 years. The oldest son, A., recently came home from rehab in eastern Washington. I know he's having a hard time of it all while also trying to be strong for his single mom and for his grandma. I reminded him of some funny things he used to say and what a smart alec he was. He was 10 or 11 when I lived there. One time A. had spent the night at B. and H.'s and he and grandpa had picked up some donuts in the morning. When I woke up late and came out to the kitchen A. told me they'd gotten those donuts and he had picked one out just for me. It was a round donut with pink frosting and covered in sprinkles. A few minutes later B. came out and asked A. if she could have a donut too, to which he replied that there may not be enough because "Alene usually eats 5." Despite my penchant for donuts, I'm not sure that I've ever eaten 5 at one time in my life so I was as surprised as anyone else when he said that. I think of all those kids very fondly and though they hardly know me or remember me, there will always be a huge place in my heart for them.

The funeral was really beautiful. I've never wanted so badly to be able to give someone one last hug and not be able to, so I can't stop thinking of how much H.'s family must be hurting. At the cemetery it was very cold and rainy. We crowded as close together as we could. There was a gun salute for H.'s service in the Navy and they played Taps. I lost it again when they folded up the flag and gave it to B., thanking her for her husband's service, it was so beautiful.

I was grateful I could show my love and support to the family. Thank you to my Mom and Dad for flying me out there on their frequent flier miles and all the help with Bailey! I called them my Sherpas all weekend because they kept carrying all of my stuff for me. They also gave me a quick chance to see my brother's family in Kennewick, only a few hours away, and their children, including Bailey's new cousin Amber. Bailey was an absolute angel on the trip, sleeping through most of our flights and giving everyone lots of coos and smiles. I am so lucky to have such a sweet and happy baby!

1 comment:

Tyler Root said...

Don't lie. I've personally seen you polish off half a dozen old fashioned donuts, then down a gallon of whole milk!!! :-)