Tuesday, December 09, 2008

But it did happen

All of it happened. Eleven days ago H. walked himself into the hospital and yesterday he died. It was a complete shock to all of us and though I promised I wouldn't cry when talking to his daughter, the moment I opened my mouth I did. H. had 2 children, a daughter and a son who died in his early 20's. H. and B. moved to Washington to live close to their daughter who now has 5 children. He is the world to them as he was to his wife and daughter. I can't think of them without crying.

I knew them first when I was little. My twin sister and I used to visit their house just down the street and see their baby pigs. H. also reminded me that we used to sit on their laps in church and beg him to draw pictures for us, saying "make me a kitty-cat" and he would put his fist in front of our face and then open it up like performing a spell and say "Poof! You're a kitty-cat." Later he told me how he and B. would always quote something one of us once said: "I'm not talking to you again until next time."

The next time was several years later. My family had moved to Montana and they'd made a couple moves. My parents got in touch with them just months before all of this.

Here they are at my wedding reception in 2005. Fortunately I've gotten to visit them twice since then, the last time just last April. I was in Portland for a tradeshow and they were able to come down and see me. I am SO thankful for that visit!

I'll be heading up to the funeral this weekend.

2 comments:

Brianna said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Travel safely!

miccolene said...

Alene I'm so sorry for your loss, I hope your travels were safe this weekend in all the storms.