Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Naked Ladies

Naked ladies is a nickname for the flower Amaryllis, one of my favorites. I have my mother to thank for introducing them to me. I remember many holiday seasons where the flower was purchased just after Thanksgiving in time to bloom for Christmas or the New Year. Since being on my own I think I've still purchased an amaryllis every year to enjoy. I love them for being so fantastically beautiful, and because it all happens so fast. When the bud bursts open I feel kind of a happiness inside and hope for the future. I'm not sure why, I love other flowers too, but they don't quite affect me in the same way.

This year's is a "clown" amaryllis because it is red and white. Maybe 2009 will be better than 2008, or maybe this night Bailey will sleep better than last, I'll take either.

When I lived in Longview, Washington, I went to see the LDS temple in Portland, which I think blows most others out of the water for its unique shape and beauty. Also, because Portland is so rainy they have an atrium just within the doors, in the waiting area for pictures just in case the weather is not accommodating new brides and grooms. I sat in this atrium once while my mom was doing some temple work and an older gentleman who worked there came to chat with me. He told me the amaryllises were imported from South Africa, where they are native to. I was impressed because I've never seen a group of them together and it was really spectacular. I don't have a photo, but I vow to take one if I visit that temple again.

No comments: