Monday, April 02, 2007

do you want me to eat the devil?

There is always something that makes each trip unique, even if it's to a place you've been before. This time I was happy to be there sharing them with the HB and I knew the hikes were ones that Caiden and his cousins would enjoy. Ty bought a camping oven sort of last minute, it looks like a laptop, skinny and silver, but opens up to reveal a small oven that can be heated on top of a little stove. About the time we were returning to camp from Goblin Valley I started begrudging the fact that he'd thought to buy an oven, but not a rhubarb pie. Now we know what we have to try next time.

So, I won't say much more about the trip, but I have to note 2 memorable quotes of Caiden's. Tyler told him to do something that he didn't want to, I can't remember if it was to just to come down and get going with us, or what, but Caiden kind of argued, and then responded, as if he'd thought up a good one: "And actually, you shouldn't be that mean."

Later on, the second morning, Tyler had made oatmeal for us all for breakfast like he had the first morning. Caiden didn't want to eat his, and Tyler wouldn't let him have any red vines until he had. Caiden, trying to think of the worse possible, and most convincing argument, said: "Do you want me to eat the devil?" He really didn't want to finish his oatmeal.

It was awesome. Tyler did a ton for this trip, making lots of grocery runs during the week and packing us all up on Friday and having everyone ready to go when I met them. I loved the feeling of working together with him when we both helped the kids climb up something or get past something they weren't sure they could. And, as much as I love to hike around on my own, I also love it when he helps me too, or just kind of looks our for me.

2 comments:

Tyler Root said...

LOL!! I bust up every time you repeat those quotes.

I love helping out and working with you on these things. I wished I had been there a bit sooner when you fell 13' off that cliff face. I'm surprized you're not going to tell everyone about that one?? :-).

B said...

I want to hear about the trip....