Thursday, April 05, 2007

Peekay's chicken

Yesterday I brought in my plastic and furry peeping Easter chic into my office. This morning he was hanging from the fire sprinkler. Apparently, after I left yesterday, one of the women sitting next to be left the chic on the chair of our office Scrooge with a note saying “I think you’re just peepin’ awesome!” I thought this was pretty ingenious, because I’m sure he laughed, but didn’t want us to know. So his response this morning was to hang the chic before we arrived in the office--all in good fun though.

Since my job was sort of invented for me, I kind of lucked out to sit in the graphics department. It’s away from the execs in the other building and on a different floor than most of the other marketing and brand managers. Some like to call it “the music lounge.” So we do this sort of thing. We also talk about politics, religion, culture, dinosaurs, progression, music, and naked stories. But I had to tell them about Peekay because even though I wasn’t devastated by the hanging of my Easter chic, my story about Peekay did make Joe hold the chic and pet it for a minute, which was really amusing.

Peekay was in the book to movie “the power of one.” He’s an English orphan in a South African private school. He has a pet chicken that is the source of his only comfort and solace. Peekay is always being beat up by some bullies in the school but one day they do the unthinkable—they hang his pet chicken. It’s the saddest movie moment that exists, bypassing any death scene I’ve ever watched. It’s an incredible story though about a boy who overcomes the odds, never judges others despite being treated so poorly, and does his best to do his share of changing the world.

2 comments:

Tyler Root said...

That does sound sad. I'd like to watch that movie with you. I remember I wanted to see it back when it came out.

Anonymous said...

That is a great movie, it is probably one of my favorite's. I also like pay it forward. There is something about innocent kids that haven't been hardened by society wanting to make great changes that always inspires me to do better.