Sunday, September 23, 2007

the best Sunday School teacher

The best Sunday school teacher I ever had was a guy who had rarely come to church. When he got the assignment to teach a class of teenagers he started attending to fulfill the responsibility. His lessons often included a personal story and he was genuine in sharing his feelings. He never openly talked about why he'd quit going to church a long time ago, not that we could have fully understood anyway, but he didn't hide his struggles or gloss over them. He talked about the mission he served in Korea--about all the crazy things other missionaries were doing and how many of them had been sent home because of them. He briefly talked about his divorce.

The most profound story he shared was about scuba diving. He was a scuba diver and very well experienced. He was healthy and athletic and daring. He knew the guidelines for scuba diving were created decades ago when divers still used bell helmets and he knew those guidelines could be pushed with modern equipment. He pretty much disregarded the guidelines until one time he had been far below the surface for a very long time--far beyond the recommended limit. He began to feel ill as he came to the surface too quickly and became violently so when he reached it. He got what is known as "the bends", a decompression sickness. He had to spend a number of days in a pressurized chamber to even be able to stand up straight again. When he finished telling this story, he emphasized how sometimes rules seem too limiting, too out-dated, and too conservative. But they're made to be that way because everyone has different limits and by following the guidelines closely, they can avoid much pain.

I like knowing why rules are there. I need to know where they came from, it’s not about the consequences, but it’s about understanding. I want an explanation for everything, but I need it in terms of real life. I want open honesty, I don't want sugar-coated versions of growing up in the Church, or about life's lessons. I don't know how best to draw the line sometimes--I guess I never really knew the social etiquette as to what is appropriate to talk about with whom and at what times, but then I don't think there should be boundaries at all. What I do know is that I want to be the kind of teacher that he was.

1 comment:

Tyler Root said...

I think you are a great teacher and you do bring a different, non-sugar-coated way to your teaching.