Friday, January 11, 2008

Project Prom Dress

Last night the HB and I were watching Project Runway. Heidi announced the challenge to create an outfit for the most important day of a woman's life. It turned out to be some high school girls' prom. At that moment I paused to express my utter bewilderment and outrage at the suggestion that that's the most important day of a woman's life. Surely these women will go to college? Surely we've realized that reinforcing the importance of being beautiful and sexy is far more damaging than pointing out other opportunities in life available to young women? The HB could hardly agree though, he said that for them it probably was everything. I'm sure that many high school girls are only obsessed with clothing, makeup, looks, and friends and boyfriends. However, I don't think we should encourage that attitude. Maybe I look down on it because in high school there was nothing I wanted more than to get out of my house so it's hard to imagine being comfortable enough there to obsess over clothes and friends. But I'll also admit that I did go to the prom, that it was one of the worst dates of my life, and that I wished I'd had the chance to ever go to a dance and feel beautiful with someone I love (went to one in college, also awful). I asked the HB to go to my University's homecoming with me the first year we were married, but he didn't want to. I guess the 5 or 6 times he went to prom and all of the other high school dances did him in.

6 comments:

Tyler Root said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyler Root said...

I agree we should not encourage girls to aspire to only be beautiful and to dress pretty, but what I meant was that no matter what you teach your girl, many of them will be excited for prom and want it to be special. I'm just saying it's a fact, not how it should be.

I would hope that if we have daughters, that she won't think it's the most important thing in her life. I really do hope that.

Alene said...

I would want it to be special for them too and for them to feel beautiful as well. I guess I was saying I'm kind of sad I missed out on that, while at the same time saying that I don't think it should be the pinnacle of any woman's life.

Jeffrey Root said...

My Prom Rocked. My best friend went with my sister and I went with my sisters best friend.

Jeffrey Root said...

go to my blog and you will see one of the most important days in someones life.

Anonymous said...

Alene, your phone is flashing, I think you have a message!

Ton-i-i