Monday, March 10, 2008

Octopus cliff dream

A group of friends including Tyler and myself are all going camping. We park our cars on the top of a slickrock slope and walk down its steep side to where it flattens out a little to pitch our tents. Just beyond where we're camping, is a cliff that drops into a river. One of the girls in our group walks out to the cliff and jumps into the water, it looked so refreshing, but the current quickly grabs her and whisks her downriver, around the corner, where our view of the water is crowded by tree branches and the surrounding rocks on each side.... And somehow, we know that she's dead.

A while later, I'm exploring the campsite, trying to see as much as I can up-river, and I can just barely make out around the corner of the rock we're on, a sandy beach, and little creatures playfully getting in and out of the water, towels and umbrellas on the beach, etc.

This beach is just inaccessible by a bit of the rock cliff that curves convexly out as it turns the corner to the beach.

It's very dangerous to try to go around this because I could fall into the river that already killed the one girl, but I trust my free-hand climbing skills and edge my way around the rock. I can't quite make it all the way to where I can lower myself onto the beach, but I find something beneath me I can--giant octopus tentacles, like huge tree roots, protruding out of the sand. I get on one and proceed to climb over some remaining tentacles to make it to the "beach." I can now see that the octopus' giant head is sort of holding up that bit of rounded out cliff face while his tentacles are just reaching into the water.

I don't however, go to the beach, I turn to get back and tell my friends about it. As I went to use the octopus' tentacle again to boost myself onto the rock, I noticed some boxes I could use to stack up. But as soon as I would get them stacked to get back onto the rock cliff, the sand would sink and I couldn't reach. That was when I noticed some type of witch in the river who could not touch me but could keep pulling the sand out from under the boxes. But eventually, I got onto the rock face again, clinging with my fingers on a tiny lip. Then the face of the cliff would roll, and suddenly I was way up above my friends at the campsite. As I tried to slide down the steep face, going from tiny ridge to tiny ridge for security, the rock face would keep rolling and I was scared to death that I'd slide all of the way off the cliff and into the fast-moving section of the river that had already taken the life of one of my girlfriends.


I woke up at that point. It was an interesting dream. As is commonly the case, I'm having even more interesting dreams while pregnant. So I've looked up some of the creatures in my recent dreams and here are a few of the ideas, of course there were none for the cute little strange creatures I saw playing on the beach, but here are a few animals who have made appearances:

OCTOPUS emotional entanglement
OCTOPUS emotionally engrossed
OCTOPUS hands everywhere


SNAKE a problem or trap - uncomfortably fast moving situation
SNAKE something you cannot deal with - being drawn into a dispute
SNAKE twisting everything someone says - singling someone out - a complaint
SNAKE a difficult relationship - a bad atmosphere
SNAKE something bad that could strike at any time
SNAKE phallic symbol - sexual intercourse

1 comment:

Mom & Dad Root said...

Looked up small creatures or animals at play, it means childhood or children. I'll have to tell you about some of the crazy dreams I had when I was pregnant.