Thursday, March 06, 2008

Need me to make you a mix tape?


After 2 years of marriage I had to give in and start watching the HB's favorite TV show, LOST. Prior to that I'd been kind of a TV snob--but not in the sense you'd imagine. When I say TV snob I don't mean I was snobbish about what I watched, I was just snobbish about the fact that I didn't watch any. And I still think that's a pretty good thing. I never watched much TV growing up, and then later, part of the reason I didn't watch was just default. My first couple of years in college I didn't have a TV. Then I spent a semester abroad in Jerusalem--no TV, then a archaeology dig in Escalante--no TV, then after college several months in Japan, where I had--no TV. But since then I really prided myself on my lack of TV-watching. I was way more into movies and the outdoors. And besides, I rarely spent evenings at home, being in some community class or another or most likely, out on a date. So shortly after marriage when the new season began and I felt I'd already taken on every possible habit and hobby of Tyler's, I refused to add LOST to the list. I was so overwhelmed with trying to fit in football and his family and all of our problems into my schedule of full-time work and a master's program at night. But last year (season 3) I didn't have so many excuses and felt I was almost being selfish in rejecting his offer to share something more with me. And that's how I become just another one of those obsessed fans you meet every day.

Little does Tyler know, that he introduced me to my second love--Sawyer. Of course I can only love Sawyer because Tyler knows I love him first, so it's okay. And I can sort of justify it by drawing the connections between their big muscles and grizzly appearance. But Tyler knows I also love Sawyer for his witty comments, his penchant for good novels, and his willingness to break the rules. So here's something I found today that made me think of his wonderful line, "Need me to make you a mix tape?" It's the mix-tape pillow for all those whose music collection has superceded the cassette tape, but have still not found an equal token with which to express our love. Found here.

10 comments:

Mom & Dad Root said...

We were so happy you were able to fit us in your busy schedule, we are amazed with your energy and all your varied interests. Our son is one lucky man! We love you!

ratbag said...

That's hilarious. To fall asleep each night with a mix tape from a loved one ON your ear.

Jeffrey Root said...

Damn I hate that sawyer. Even Mandi has dreams about him. I just can't compete!!!

Jeffrey Root said...

Stupid James.

Alene said...

ha ha, that's hilarious. I hope she's feeling better. I got the flu on Tuesday too, but was mostly over it the next day.

Tyler Root said...

"Hey Freckles, wanna go have a beer with me and skelator and see what happens?"

OK, that's not an actual quote, but something I'd say to you if I were Sawyer.

It's OK honey. Honestly, if you were to leave me for him, I really couldn't blame you. It's better than you leaving me for someone like Paul Giamatti or Danny Devito.

Our Ohana said...

Awesome post, Alene!

Jeffrey Root said...

Hey, You can't leave out Chewie and Jaba. They helped find the beer too.

Mom & Dad Root said...

What are you guys talking about????

B said...

Saywer is a putz...

Ben FTW!!!!