Monday, August 14, 2006

Men's vs. Women's Health

I'm talking about the magazines here. Before I begin though, lest you get the wrong impression--I am not any kind of butch chic. I rarely lift weights, but keep my muscles toned through yoga and other exercises almost daily. I do however, take my cardio very seriously--I do about 45 minutes to an hour every single day of the week. I've been doing this for almost 8 years. Also, I get daily email tips on health, health foods, etc. I don't have any sort of degree in nutrition, but I can tell you what food to eat for which vitamins and benefits. I get stuck in routines like everyone one else, but still love new ideas and appreciate a magazine that takes this seriously. So now, on to my diatribe.

Men's health is the greatest magazine I've ever read. I have always been a sort of subscriber by proxy--that is through my boyfriends' or now, the HB's subscription. I was excited when Women's Health premiered because nothing else comes close to men's health for a girl serious about health. But the women's version too fall's short, not only did they dumb down some workouts, but the sex articles have titles like "how to get in the mood" versus the ones I like in Men's health such as "How to get what you want." Don't they know that the only thing keeping a healthy, active woman from being in the mood is an unhealthy relationship?

The funny thing is that I read the sex articles in the men's version, somewhat out of curiousity, but also to make sure the female sex is correctly being represented here. And for the most part it is correct and I applaud it for being so accurate and for recognizing that women do know what they want and do enjoy sex. I want to make sure the HB gets the right information, and though we talk openly about what we want, it's nice to have backup. You know, I won't use an explicit example, but let's say I suggested that sometime we go for a romantic walk. It's one thing for me to suggest that, but it's another thing if he's read it in a men's magazine, or if a friend of his suggests the same thing in a way that says "if you do that, she'll go crazy."

So now, all that's left for the magazine to work on is to get men to trust our suggestions as much as they do their friends' suggestions.

No comments: