Wednesday, August 09, 2006

you're only as loud as the noises you make



The thing about the picture is that it is so much more intimate than it looks. For me anyway, because the idea of my lover watching me tweeze my eyebrows or something would make me feel a little self-conscious I think. And I don't know why. Why are we so ashamed of our bodies? Why are there so many things that we don't talk about--bodily or not?

Today I had my first session of laser hair removal. Call me silly, but only the HB knew I was doing it. There are a lot of reasons I didn't tell anyone, but I like to pretend like they're not a big deal, I just didn't mention that I was having it done.

I guess first because I feel guilty about the amount of money it costs to have laser hair removal. Secondly, I think I may have been embarrassed about having hair. That sounds stupid, but girls think they shouldn't have hair anywhere except on their heads (maybe I shouldn't have read that book "the aquatic ape" by feminist Elaine Morgan in my college days).

Anyway, I have sensitive skin and get skin care updates in my email almost daily. One day I entered a contest to win laser hair removal and it turns out that I won $300 toward any treatment package. This is not a large amount considering the price of treatment, but enough to help if you want to start with a small area.

So that's what I did. After consulting about possible areas (bikini comes first to mind of course) I ended up deciding on my lip. NOT that the hair on my lip is so prominent, but it was affordable and a "good place to start."

The reason I talk about it is not that anyone cares about hair above my lip, but because why is it so damn hard to talk about?

I can only get as close to people as I allow, but I WANT to be close to people, so why do we stop ourselves by not sharing our silly insecurities?

No comments: