Tuesday, September 05, 2006

coconut lime lips


the HB and I went to Oktoberfest at Snowbird this weekend. We enjoyed some yodeling, some german chocolate cake, and I picked up some coconut lime lip gloss. Not only is the smell incredible, it honestly makes me feel more alive. Too bad Mollycoddle Soaps doesn't have an online store. She only sells her homemade stuff at fairs and such. I love this kind of stuff. I feel like I'm supporting my community and also love to see people's handiwork. Having shops all around feels like a sort of foreign country and its relaxing and inspiring to insouciantly stroll by and see what other people are doing with their lives.

Before I started my MBA program I got a BA in anthropology. There's not much you can do with it, but I thought if I also had the business degree I could go into work with one of those microloan programs. The ones where you go down to Ecuador, or Panama, etc. and loan a woman $100 and that's all she needs to get her own business on its feet with her hand-made crafts. It's a tiny amount of money, but one after another these businesses eventually stimulate the whole economy. I want to go on a crusade someday. A modern one, like what Dr. Paul Farmer is doing, or what Peace Corps, Unicef and all sorts of volunteers are doing around the world. People think it's too hard to do, or that you need to be independent, but I believe that if you really want to do something, you'll find a way. I'm still looking for my way, but I'll find it.

No comments: