Monday, September 11, 2006

on the green

One time just after high school my distant cousin took me golfing. I hardly remember it--I don't remember how long it took or how hard it was, but I remember looking for my ball a lot. I've never been since then. Last week my boss paid an unexpected visit. He arrived in town Thursday and he and my co-worker discussed going golfing on Friday morning. The conversation went like this:

boss: "do you think Alene wants to go golfing with us? She's never really been before."

coworker: "Alene will go. She'll do anything. Remember when we had that meeting in Dallas just after she got hired and we played broom hockey on that ice rink? She played so hard out there, she loved it."

boss: "You're right, I'll be she'd do it."

And I did it. And I wasn't that bad either. Maybe they were just being nice, but both boss and coworker told me that I did very good for my first time.

I love trying new things, but I honestly had been a bit nervous about it. Mostly because it was with my boss and I hadn't had a chance to even hit some balls before he came. I sort of think I need to be decent at it since it's the game of the business world, but that also makes me hate it. Why golf? Why not rock-climbing or something? Studies have proven that fit leaders are better leaders. Why are we a society of lazy sports?

1 comment:

Tim said...

Golf actually isn't as lazy at it appears. I mean, if you take the cart, yes, it can be somewhat inert, but if you walk it's generally great exercise.

Tim