Wednesday, September 20, 2006

meatloaf and cereal

Last night I made meatloaf. My husband loves it and I've never made it for him so I really wanted it to be good. I had it almost done when he got home from football practice, I just needed to take it out of the oven, spoon off the grease, put the sauce on, and cook it for 10 more minutes. Right when he came over to me I was sort of pouring off the grease and half of the meatloaf fell into the sink. I was mortified. I was really really embarrassed. Nevertheless, he ate it and he liked it.

I have a knack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Monday is my "office" day for work and since my office is at home, and my work is usually done by 2 or 3, my Monday afternoons are fairly free. So the one day that I scheduled something else in the afternoon my boss happened to call me needing something and I was up in Park City.

Another time a few years ago I was living with an older couple in Washington state. They had a rule about eating only in the kitchen and I totally respected any rule they had, they were so loving that I would have locked myself in my room for a month if they'd told me to. But one morning I had this uncontrollable urge to sit on the living room floor with the milk jug in front of me and 4 different boxes of cereal lined up to choose from and read the boxes while I ate. Right as I was sitting down the wife walked in. She never even said anything, just look surprised. but I felt so guilty. Because they were sooooo good to me.

This is what it's like to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

1 comment:

Tyler Root said...

MMMMMMM. That meatloaf was good baby. I hope you make it again and I don't care if you drop it in the sink TWICE.

I love you.