Friday, February 23, 2007

hooking up with the HB

The first time I met Tyler was when I went to his house with his brother and a friend to watch a movie. He called me the next day. I thought he was married--he had a son and I had naively assumed that his wife was out that night. I quickly figured out that he was not married and accepted the date. I was dating a lot at the time. A month earlier one of my good friends had proposed to me and I'd had to turn him down and break it off. I was on a breather with my long-time ex and also casually dating a guy from my gym.

We went out. I continued going out with others while we kept going out. It was hard, I always wanted more space. Tyler kept telling me to call him, anytime. I thought he wanted to hang out more, but couldn't tell sometimes. And besides when I wasn't out with him I was out with other guys, so I never really got the space I needed, a night to myself sometimes. And Tyler kept telling me he wasn't a player and wasn't out looking for action. He talked about another girl-friend often, leading me to believe he didn't want a romantic relationship at all.

I broke it off with the guy at my gym. I started spending more time with the friend I"d first gone over to his house with. Then I ended up making out with that friend and told Tyler I couldn't see him anymore. Nothing serious with the friend, but enough to make their acquaintance with each other awkward with me involved.

Then I went out a few times with a different guy from the gym. I also reconnected with my old boyfriend. And I had occasional random dates as well.

I started my MBA program. I stopped seeing the mutual friend and the other guy at the gym. I kind of stopped dating altogether--by that I mean for like 2 weeks.

Then I sent an email to Tyler, we hadn't been in touch for several weeks and just thought I'd be friendly, see what was up. I wanted to talk to him, but part of me was afraid. I think I knew in my heart that once I talked to him again there was no turning back, I knew he was the one I'd be with forever and that thought scared me a little. So, with a little help from mine and Tyler's friend Tim, we got it together and once we did, we never missed a day seeing each other. Six months later we got married.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love to hear the hook-up stories. b-e-a-utiful!

Fitz said...

This is a great story. When HB reads it, does he remember it differently? His perspective might be quite different. Ok, strike "might be" - it almost certainly is.