Monday, February 26, 2007

You're not your job

I've had more jobs than anyone I know at my age. My longest tenure at any job was 2 years. I know changing more often gets you more money, but can look bad too. I don't switch jobs that often on purpose, but it reflects my life. I mean, during college you sort of have to get a new job often--I spent a couple of semesters away and you're always looking for more experience in your field, or the job that pays rent/books better. My college boyfriend said once that I went away every-other semester and he expected me to be going to Africa the semester after the current one. I never made it to Africa, but I did move away again.

Here are the jobs I've had, some were held simultaneously:

During high school:
newspaper delivery route
piano player at the Holiday Inn

after high school:
Dishroom at BYU dorm cafeteria
*30 minutes at Taco Bell
Arby's
Diversified Plastics
Topp Travel
Avis Car Rental
Fabricland
Teleperformance
Samurai Sam's
Marketing Ally
Wirthlin Worldwide
CNA office secretary

after undergrad:
GEM School in Japan
secretary at Family History office in Church Office Building
sales associate at Sharper Image
secretary at Curriculum writer's office in Church Office Building

during MBA:
**Travel & visa agent at Missionary travel in Church Office Building--2 years
Sales rep for Dish Network

after MBA:
sales Rep for Dish Network
event-based marketing assistant for City Weekly

starting in 2 weeks: Marketing Coordinator for Nutraceutical


*I went into work but began to feel as if I might faint. Just before doing so I walked out the door and into the parking lot where I vomitted for a few minutes. Then I walked back in and said I was done. I was too embarrassed to ever go back.

**this job was the hardest job to leave even though I wanted to for a long time--I felt like such a part of the global community. I felt touched by every country I worked with and learned about and by every person. I always want to know more about the people that I know, and I want to know everyone deeply. I want to be Eve.

1 comment:

Tyler Root said...

"You're not your f*cking Khakis!"