Friday, February 08, 2008

The bedroom on 7th

When I first moved to Salt Lake City I rented a house with 3 girls on 700 East, just between Trolley Square and Liberty Park. I loved the house (despite the alley parking that took off my sideview mirrors more than once). I planted tomatoes in the backyard in the summer. I had great roommates. One year on the day after Christmas I got snowed in there by myself. We had a tiny balcony from the upstairs and nice deck in the back. We had a sectional couch in the living room that no one knew where it was from. The keystone piece was missing a leg and rocked if sat on. I desperately miss that house whenever I ride by it.

I first moved into the small room upstairs, but within a few months, had found my way to the larger room downstairs. It was the coolest bedroom ever, and I regret not making the most of it then, but I was also, a full time worker and student and in a mad dating frenzy most of the time I lived there. It was kind of a 2-room deal, with a larger room in front and a partial wall to where my bed was in the back and some built-in shelving for my clothes. There was just enough room for my single bed, a 7-foot one that my parents lent me that had been my brothers. I had the bed on a 6-foot frame, so if someone sat on the bottom foot of the bed, the mattress would rise up. When I had friends come to visit, they could sleep on the floor in the larger portion of the room. Next to my bookshelves and CD collection.

But the point is that someday I'm going to design my own bedroom. And I would love to have the bed be kind of isolated like mine was. But I think the room would have to be huge because I like empty space too. I posted a while ago about the monochromatic look of this bedroom that I love. Today I saw an idea for a faux cottage door at the end of the bed that I loved too. Trying to decide if that would go okay with the platform bed I want. But if it was kept simple, I think it'd be really cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so COOL looking. Its really pretty and vintage looking. I love it!!

-alana

Anonymous said...

I think I may know someone who could build you a room like that someday!