Thursday, January 04, 2007

"Follow me, reader!"

I just finished reading "The Master and Margarita." A Russian novel by Bulgakov, written during Stalin's rule in the 1930's--when anti-religious propaganda was everywhere. I love a lot of classic Russian literature because the character development is amazing and I also like the religious elements and themes that are often present in the novels. I have to share the idea of this book because I think it's incredible, though I won't reveal too many details lest anyone reading this may ever want to check it out.

Bulgakov's story is about a stranger who comes to Moscow. He poses as a magician at first, but it quickly becomes clear that he is the devil. His role however, is to prove the existence of God. Just before the stranger's arrival, a writer had submitted his novel about Pontius Pilate for publication, only to have it rejected everywhere because the country was primarily atheist at the time and the subject was too controversial. [We get to read the story of Pontius Pilate as its written in his novel.] Following its rejection, the writer becomes very disturbed and committs himself into a mental institute. The writer's lover worships his work and when he burns it she saves a piece from the fire. This scrap becomes instrumental to the story. She doesn't know where he's gone and ends up making a bargain with the devil (unknowingly) to be reunited with her lover, the writer. Then, the story goes back to that of Pontius Pilate. The fate of the writer and his lover is intertwined with that of Pontius Pilate. The writer is only able to finish his novel once it is decided.

I was really blown away by the book. I wish I understood better how much the politics of the times affected the events and perspectives of the characters. Regardless, it's a novel I could reread and never quite grasp, yet enjoy every moment and discuss for countless nights.

No comments: