Saturday, January 20, 2007

SFF1

I've been working the Sundance Film Festival each January for 3 years now. Not a long time, but enough that I feel like a part of it and I know most of the people I'm working with even though I only see them in January. The first year I lived in Salt Lake City I was determined to go to at least one film, even though I had no idea what I was doing. I looked at some movies online and purchased a ticket to a Guatemalan film about a writer that sounded interesting. It wasn't that great, but I was impressed when the director told us afterwards during the Q&A session that some editing changes had been made just hours before showing the movie.

This year I'm working at the Rose Wagner theater in Salt Lake City. Last night I watched most of the movie "Away From Her" with Tyler. It was very good. The next 9 days will all be days that go on long after midnight. But it's fun. I get inspired by people that come from all over for this festival, by locals that support their community, by people's different backgrounds, and of course, by the films. Last year by the Broadway a couple took over the Deli nextdoor just during the festival because they're friends with the owner. For the 10 days of the festival they sold their sockeye salmon tacos each night and none of us volunteers could get enough. They were delicious. It was cool to learn how they fished in Alaska each summer and then had little businesses on the side to support themselves. It's like a 10 day festival about not being afraid to do with your life what you want to and about following your dreams, being open and accepting to new ideas as well. These are the things I value, knowing what I want, acting on my dreams, being open to learning all the time.

No comments: